The Linux System Engineer is a strategic technical position within the organization. This position is responsible for maintaining the design and integrity of customer’s software systems, coordinating complex projects, and implementing Linux based solutions.
• IT support relating to technical issues involving Linux and Open Source applications, as well as virtual environments built on Linux as well as VMware.
• Design, implementation, and support services for Linux related technologies
• Engineer and implement system solutions for customers using technologies that meet their needs.
• Implement and support disaster recovery solutions.
• Technical services and support at the network level: WAN and LAN connectivity, routers, firewalls, and security.
• Remote access solution implementation and support.
• System documentation and consulting services to include system reviews and recommendations.
• Communication with customers as required: keeping them informed of incident progress, notifying them of impending changes, and agreed outages.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
• Improve customer service, perception, and satisfaction.
• Ability to work in a team and communicate effectively.
• Escalate service or project issues that cannot be completed within agreed service levels.
• Business awareness: specific knowledge of the customer and how IT relates to their business strategy and goals.
• Develop in-depth knowledge of the service catalog and how it relates to customer’s needs.
• Document internal processes and procedures related to duties and responsibilities.
• Responsible for entering time and expenses in ConnectWise as they occur.
• Understand processes in ConnectWise by completing assigned training materials and blueprints on the ConnectWise University.
• Work through project tickets and phases in ConnectWise as assigned by a Project Manager.
• Enter all work as service or project tickets in ConnectWise.
• Review IT publications and online materials to remain up-to-date with current and future technologies emerging in the industry.
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Professional IT Certifications, such as: Red Hat Linux, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu
• Interpersonal skills: such as telephony skills, communication skills, active listening and customer-care.
• Diagnosis skills of technical issues.
• Ability to multi-task and adapt to changes quickly.
• Technical awareness: ability to match resources to technical issues appropriately.
• Service awareness of all organization’s key IT services for which support is being provided.
• Understanding of support tools, techniques, and how technology is used to provide IT services.
• Typing skills to ensure quick and accurate entry of service request details.
• Self-motivated with the ability to work in a fast moving environment.
Educational/Vocational/Previous Experience Recommendations:
• BA/BS, preferably in computer science or a related field.
• MBA/MS preferred but not required.
• 5 Years of IT or related experience.
With offices in Windsor, London, Waterloo, Markham, and Detroit, Next Dimension offers a wide range of benefits, opportunities for advancement, fully paid professional education, travel opportunities and regular team activities. Our office is an open concept, high-tech, and fast-paced environment with plenty of amenities. These elements all contribute to an amazing work environment that’s fun, exciting and deeply rewarding.